Australian Birds—Red Wattlebird (Anthochaera carunculata)

It's coming up to Spring in Canberra, and the cherry trees are out in bloom. There will be cherry blossom festivals - one in Cowra and the Nara candlelight festival in Canberra itself. Worth going to, if you're in the area. I can't make the Cowra festival, but I have hopes for this year's Nara.

In the meantime, we're having a lot of visitors to the garden that love the nectar to be found in the cherry blossom. This is a red wattlebird. The one's in our area are very shy so I was pleased this one decided the nectar was more important than worrying about me.

At first all I could see was movement, and then I realised I had a visitor.


He was cautious, at first,


and stopped feeding to take a good look at the pest with the camera,


but soon, the cherry blossoms caught his eye, again,


and he went back to feeding,


before flying away to investigate the blossoms on another tree.


You can find out more about wattlebirds at the following sites:


I also found a couple of Youtube videos:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go