Poetry Challenge: The Sonnet

Because we all love Shakespeare, right?

Of course, we do, since he was the master. So, sonnets.

Sonnet basics:
  1. The Shakespearean sonnet is also called the English sonnet;
  2. Each line has five pairs of syllables, and every second syllable is stressed - this is called an iambic pentameter;
  3.  The sonnet is divided into three verses of four lines;
  4. There is a rhyming scheme: abab cdcd efef (meaning the last word of the first line of each verse rhymes with the last word of the third, and the end of second line rhymes with the end of the fourth);
  5. There are two more lines at the end of the poem, after the third verse;
  6. These last two lines end with words that rhyme with each other: gg.
Notes on Writing:

I found this incredibly hard to write, and I'm not sure the iambic pentameter is perfect, but everyone has to start somewhere. I wish you good luck with yours.

Example Sonnet:

"Do not laugh at me," roared my inner ghost
"Keep me secret. Keep me safe. Tell you none,
or I will make you mourn your soul, my host.
From me you cannot hide. You cannot run."

"Oh ghost of mine," I said, "leave me alone."
"Never!" it replied, "You're forever mine."
"We'll see," I said, and raised the telephone.
"Crusaders of Canb'ra? Please come in time."

They soon came, but the wicked ghost took hold.
It did not want to leave me. How I raved!
A ghostly fever raged, then left me cold.
The ghost, it fled. My soul was safe and saved.

I joined the ranks of the crusaders bold.
To the One they served, my own soul I sold.


More information:

Google "Shakespearean sonnet" or check out these sites:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go